June 2, 2011

Tomato Basil Soup - VitaMix

One of my all-time favorite meals is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  Well, I'm currently on Weight Watchers, so the grilled cheese is out.  Condensed tomato soup in a can is fine. I guess.  But, my palate is a bit more discerning these days.  If you're not familiar with the VitaMix, it actually cooks soup using only the friction of the blades.  This recipe is so incredibly simple and takes about 6 minutes from start to finish.

Ingredients:
1 can diced tomatoes (I use S&W Organic Tomatoes)
1 handful of fresh basil (I'm loving my garden, right now)
1 stem of fresh oregano (again, from my garden)
1 tsp minced garlic (I buy jars of organic minced garlic- such a time saver)
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Tbsp fresh Parmesan cheese
Black pepper, to taste
Crushed red pepper, to taste

Method:
So simple. Combine everything in the Vita-Mix. Start on low, variable speed and immediately turn to High speed.  Run for 5 minutes.  Careful opening the top as it will release a lot of steam.
Don't forget to clean your vitamix immediately, or it could take on the scent of the soup.